Sunday 24 April 2011

Can you RESIST The Stampman?

Its all about resist techniques this week over at The Stampman and the team have done an fantastic mix of techniques - please do pop over and check them out!

I wanted to have a go at the vaseline resist I'd seen in craft stamper a while ago where you paint a layer of acrylic, let it dry then add some vaseline as the resist then add more acrylic and let dry then rub the paint off the vaseline (which doesnt dry)  Results weren't good as you can see...



However yes the vaseline does act as a resist but I can probably get a better result with the clever use of a paintbrush :)

 Next I decided to try the josephs coat resist technique also from craft stamper where one method is to lay your base colours down as below then stamp and emboss your image in detail clear (pic below)
 Next you brayer over in black ink and allow to dry then gently wipe the ink off the embossing which will resist it - only I used brilliance which stuck to it and acts like one of those scratch boards so it all started coming off grrrr!
 Looked ok but I wasn't happy with the result so tried again using a dye inkpad.

 This one I did with adirndack dye inks, I also decided to tone the colours down and just used the pink and yellow and covered it with the black adirondack.  Once dry you can remove the embossing if you wish by - well I tried laying tissue over and ironing but the tissue stuck so I flipped my encaustic iron over as a hot plate and gently melted from behind and wiped off.  I also missed a bit on the stamp in the corner so I was chewing my knuckles by now then decided I could hide it with a fairy....

 Having seen it finished I didnt like the smaller fairies there so trimmed it down and I have a design whoop go me! 

I coloured the base card in the pink and yellow adrondack inks using cotton wool to blend them on and added stickles to the fairies wings.  I do like that technique now I know what inks work well so I'll definately be doing that one again :)

Come have a bash at resist techniques this fortnight - if I can do it anyone can! x

Would also like to enter into...



Vix

8 comments:

Dotpat said...

That looks really good Vix, glad there is not just me gets things wrong

Esther said...

hhmm..haven't tried either of these techniques...The Joseph Coat looks very messy - I'd get black ink EVERYWHERE! You ahve done a great job tho - I really like your finished piece and the one you weren't keen on I think is fab too! Esther xx

Cath Wilson said...

Ooh, haven't tried Joseph's Coat for a long time - used to be my favourite technique years and years ago, lol. You've done a great job, Vix - looks brilliant!

Grenouille Greetings said...

Wow! Lovely finished card! Happy Easter! Hugs, Lesley

Caroljenks said...

Beautiful card and technique! Amazing tip too - your whole post is a tip on how to - Thanks :)

Thanks for joining us over at Top Tip Tuesday for our 'Open Challenge' :)

Carol x

Lin said...

This is amazing. I don't mean this to sound mean but it's good to know that you have disasters too, it gives me hope, lol. I always find your design so inspiring!! Your scroll looked fantastic after you finally got it right.

Lin xx

Sue said...

This is fab Vix, I love your finished one and she looked fab before you trimmed the other fairy off too x

Eiglas said...

Super projects Vix - as per! LOL!
Love all of your creations - they're always inspirational!
Hugs
Ei
x