Wednesday 27 October 2010

Crafts and Me - Make a Christmas Gift

The challenge this fortnight over at Crafts & Me is to Make an Xmas Gift with Gina being our hostess for this one.  I decided to make a candle for this one and opted for 2 Hannah Lynn xmas designs (I love Hannah's stamps!) so have used Wintergreen Wishes and Candy Cane Angel both available here at Crafts & Me 

I'll do a little tutorial along the way in case you've never made an altered candle before :)


Step 1 - Stamp your image onto a piece of tissue paper.  I find the tissue paper they wrap clothes and flowers in best.  Experiment with your mediums for colouring, some look good others not so good. Chalks work very well.  For this I used promarkers as I've never used them on tissue so wanted to see how they performed.  Colour your image in as normal, use a shade or two darker than you normally would, add sparkles with sakura stardust or sparkly gel pens etc then cut around your image.




Step 2 - Place image onto your candle then use a piece of wax paper, wrap this tightly over your image and use a heat gun to gently melt the wax.  If you have neither you can use greaseproof paper and a hairdryer, its the melted wax that holds it in place.  Allow to cool for a few seconds and remove the wax paper and there's your image :)


Decorate as required :)  To secure the ribbon I used gem brads and made a hole with my pokey tool first.  I also added glitter to the top of the candle by gently heating it, adding glamour dust and gently pushng it into soft wax then heated again to seal it in.  Enjoy!






Would also like to enter into...

Sweet Stampin challenge - Anything but a card
ABC - G for Glitter
The Crafty Pad - Christmas
Craft your passion - Glitter & Sparkles

12 comments:

Dotpat said...

They are lovely Vix, you clever thing

Juls said...

i do love candles....the square shape works pefectly.....think I needs to get me some!!!! Beautiful and magical as always! Hugs Juls

PepPop said...

Great work and great tips too. I completely agree with you - Hannah Lynn's images are gorgeous. Jaqui x

Lauretta See said...

wow. such a beautiful handmade present! I love it.. great job ! Thank you for participating in our challenge at CRAFT YOUR PASSION :) GOOD LUCK!

Crafters Corner said...

Brilliant as usual Vix! You have reminded me of this, I haven't done any for years now - before I even discovered ProMarkers!! I will have to do some more.

Victoria said...

wow this is gorgeous adore the candle
thank you for joining us on abc this challenge vIcky x

Pat said...

Beautiful Christmas candle. Thanks for joining in at The Crafty Pad this week.

Pat xx

Debbie said...

OOh gorgeous decorated candle - I love to decorate them too. :)
Thanks for sharing with us at the Crafty Pad Challenge this week. :)

Debbie The Crafty Pad Stamp Designs

Anonymous said...

Beeeeeeeeeeeautiful! really love this! wish I could find some white candles somewhere too!
Thanks for stopping by my blog too! Samantha :0)

Lindsey said...

What a great candle! Thanks for joining us at Sweet Stampin' this week x

Karina said...

Oh, I love how you decorated this candle! Thank you for joining us on abc this challenge.
Love from
Karina ABC DT

Unknown said...

What a wonderful idea! Thanks for the fab tutorial. Love that candle! Thanks for playing along with us at Craft Your Passion. x x