Friday 13 August 2010

The Stampman challenge #3 - Easel cards

Its challenge 3 at The Stampman challenges this fortnight and we'd love to see your EASEL CARDS! Now you know what I'm like playing around with easels so I had to have a think and a few strong cups of gold blend before deciding on this one.

The problem I faced is its August and I traipsed round everywhere looking for novelty xmas lights only to be thwarted, I did try a few other types before remembering I have some of those light up pumpkins in the loft so a quick rummage and I struck gold!

What I wanted to do is put fairy lights in her hair but that will have to be for another day as I couldnt find a stringy light so I've built the unit into a base instead.

Here's the unit which has lights attached to a battery power box. If you want to play with lights look for something with a boxed power pack like this with the lights attached to it directly or via a wire. There will be riper pickings when the shops put out their xmas stocks just ready for pilfering :D
I made a box base to put the unit in, made my easel and cut out a hole for the lights to pop through. It also means you can access it easily to switch it on and off, change the batteries and whatnot. I've hidden it amongst some flowers and feathers as shown below.

This is the easel in daylight. I used some gorgeous holographic silver card I picked up off the shelves in The Stampman shop when I was there, it really catches the light. I'd sat in the dark with the light box shining it up onto a load of papers from stash and these worked the best for me. I have used the beloved 'bling maiden' from the Aspects of Design sheet Butterfly Beauties which you can find here. Me and the bling maiden always have a lot of fun, she's very forgiving!

I've painted her hair with starburst stains in blues and violets and taking some of the dye off wth tissue when it was wet leaving just a faint colour and the mica behind so it looks multicoloured in the flesh. The butterflies are punched from the holographc paper I've used so again catch the light.

And this is the night view of her in action lol! Instead of usng the flowers and lights as a stopper I set it further back for the best angle for the most light and used diamond brads there so she stands more upright to get more light.


And just to show she does actually work, here's a short video of her in action!





Entering into...

Pocket Full of Posies - All that glitters

Charisma Cards - Easels

Flutterby Wednesday - Open week

Sir Stampalot - Bring on the bling

Totally Papercrafts - Rainbow (The holographic paper shows the rainbow)

Lots to Do - Ribbons & Lace (Silver lace around box and silver holographic ribbon across centre of card.

Thanks for looking!

41 comments:

Cath Wilson said...

Absolutely wonderful idea, Vix. Love it. I bet this is SO much nicer IRL with the sparkle and everything. Stunning work.

Ayelet {Jenny} said...

Stunning! I saw it first at `The Stampmans`` blog and now that I have read the work involve I thibk its just amazing! LOVE it! Thank you for palying with us over at PFOP and Good Luck! X

brenda said...

Hi Vix

Absolutelty awesome !!!!

More words might spoil it, but really super work adn imagination.

Thank you for sharing with us at Stampalot Challenge this month and good luck.

B x

Sarah A said...

Wow absolutely stunning!! Loving the lights, might need to get a quick electronics lesson from my brother lol!

Love that stamp too, whenever I see her it reminds me of you ;-)

Sarah x

crafty creations said...

Absolutely stunning Vix - love everything about it

Thanks for sharing with the Lotstodo Challenge xx Hilda

Danni said...

Spectacular!! Wow!! What a stunning creation! Thank you for playing along with my flutter by challenge!

Donna said...

wow Vix that card is amazing!!!!

Donna said...

Vix that card is amazing!!!!! You are such and inspiration to me..... one day i hope i can color and create cards like you do.

Donna said...

wow Vix that card is amazing!!!!

Donna said...

wow Vix that card is amazing!!!!

Donna said...

Vix that card is amazing, such a wonderful idea..... you are an inspiration.... hope one day to be able to create like you

Neet said...

Where on earth do you get all your wonderful ideas from. This is stunning - and such a wonderful idea Vic. I am in complete awe of you. Love
Neet

Angela said...

All I can say is WOW, WOW and WOW!!! I am at a loss for words.. this is truly GORGEOUS, STUNNING, AWESOME,AMAZING!!! I LOVE THIS!! This is truly a work of art.. you are so inspiring!!
Hugs:)
Angela

Juls said...

OH MY GOODNESSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! you never cease to amaze me with your talent and creativity, this is just so gorgeous and clever love it!!! thank you so much for all the inspiration you constantly give! Hugs Juls

Anonymous said...

I totally agree... I bet this is a beauty in the flesh....

Where the heck do you get your idea's from...
You just blow me away!!!!

Stunning, imaginative and oh so creative!!!

You never cease to impress me!!!!

AMAZING....I am lost for words.....
x
Vicky

Joey said...

WOW WOW WOW I am in awe this is amazing and such great workmanship! love the light and the gorgeous image,thanks for sharing with us at tpc. Joey.x

Anonymous said...

OMG! This is sooooooo cool! Where on earth do you get these ideas!. xx

pinky said...

Wow stunning piece of work, incredible idea and gorgeous to look at. Thanks for joining us at Sir Stampalot.
Pinky

Dotpat said...

Very clever Vix and such a beautiful job you have done too

cockney blonde said...

What a brilliant and original idea. You are uber talented, x

Glennis F said...

Absolutely stunning!!

PinksyDoodles said...

What an amazing creation! Thank you for joining us at Sir Stampalot this month.
Clare x

angelwhispers said...

WOW you really keep me glued to see your wonderful inspiration!!

This is just a stunner love the image anyway but this new creation is amazing just love it Chanelle xx

Ellie said...

Wow! That is just amazing!

Val said...

Wow - how clever is this!

Lovely card.

Hugs
Valxx

Tracy said...

Truly amazing, Thanks for joining Sir Stampalot’s challenge with this great entry, good luck.
Happy crafting
Tracy x

Emma said...

Wow such a fabulous idea and stunning creation.
Thanks for joining us at Totally Papercrafts & good luck.
Hugs Emma x
www.craftyemmasstore.co.uk
http://ceschallenges.blogspot.com

Rita said...

Wow Wow Wow. This is the most amazing card. Absolutely Stunning. Hugs Rita xxxx

Netty said...

Oh wow, this is incredible, how fabulous....am at a loss for words. Annette x

Sue said...

Hi Vix
oh wow this is totally stunning, a fantastic creation, a beautiful keepsake for some one, thank you for joining us at Totally Papercrafts this week, hope to see you next week, sue,x

Wishcraft said...

Blimey!! Unbelievably amazing, I'm slightly in awe... such a gorgeous creation Vix! Lisa x

Cor* said...

Holy Crap man. this is amazing! Totally gorgeous and amazing! What a great creation. Look at you , girl! this is a work of art !

Lorraine A said...

bloomin ekk !!!! this is absolutely FANTASTIC !!! WOW !!! you clever thing you !! am Sooo impressed !!! :-)

thanks for joining the Totally Papercrafts Challenge :-)
Luv
Lols x x x

Unknown said...

such a fab idea hun, love it

OH and im off my "arse" shop will be ready soonish now, thank god

hugs
judie xx

Lin said...

I bow down to you oh leader. You do know you are too darn smart don't you.
You have the most amazing imagination and what's really great is that you know how to put that imagination into something tangible.

Gorgeous

Lin xxx

Eiglas said...

What can I say Vix - off the charts!
Everyone else makes cards - you make installation art! LOL!
Just love it!
Hugs,
Eiglas
x

Unknown said...

oh wow, what an amazing card,your details are so beautiful.
thanks for playing with Charisma.

Tracey said...

What a fantastic idea & this is a stunning easel card & it looks beautiful when all lit up :)

Hugs
Tracey
x

Francesca said...

A wonderful card, fabulous work with the lights, thanks for joining us at Sir Stampalot this month and good luck
Hugs
Francesca

Crafteezee said...

Vix, you never cease to amaze me. This is stunning, we'll all be rummaging for the Xmas lights when they come out, lol! Hugs Tracy x

coldwaters2 said...

WOWWWWWWWW this has just blown me away what a brilliant idea such wonderful creativity and inspiration thank you so much for sharing this with us at Sir Stampalot this month.
Hugs
Lorraine x