Thursday 28 January 2010

A Handbag Easel :)

Been playing again :)
It's DD's OH's mums birthday on Sunday. Its also my MIL's birthday too but she lives in Bali and says not to post anything coz it will go walkabout...

I asked DD what does Joel's mum like then? They both replied fashion, she's very trendy. Unlike me then in my hiking boots and my OH's Springbok's shirts :)
I knew immediately what stamp I was going to use. I won some candy from Victoria Case last year and these are perfect for a fashionable gal!
As I was in a tinkering mood I also decided I wanted to make a handbag shaped card and thought I'd show how easy it is to do shaped easels too.

I started with a sketched template and then folded a card in half and drew around the template and cut out. I also made another separate piece as shown below.



The papers I used on the handbag were bearly mine designs - Designer extreme vol 3 and starburst stains Black Orchid Silver.
OK the top half is 2 images by Victoria Case for SCACD - Ms Chardonnay and Suzanne coloured with promarkers. I added some silver peel offs for accents and an organza ribbon bow with a butterfly charm. The organza ribbon has been heated to make it curl :)
I've stamped using some embossing powder called "Stick n stamp" and used a hot pink foil on it. The stamp is a sentiment by Victoria Case too. I added a handle using tiger tail and ribbon.


Closed View



Stick N Stamp uing tonertex Hot Pink foils



Onto the bottom half! I always struggle with the bases of easel cards and as I went into my craft room I spotted some post it notes on my desk so thought ahhh that'll do! It also means the card can be used for longer than just stuck on a mantlepiece for a week (theres a LOT of work in it!) I added the post it note over some black and white spotted organza ribbon and made the funky flower. Saw this in a *really really* old book I bought from the library about 5 years ago.

I'll try my best to explain how to do it (I will do a tutorial soon!)
First cut a small circle of card and some strips of ribbon. Fold the ribbon in half (Check the length to what you want it to be) The book says to stitch them onto the card but the book was written before glue dots were invented hehe! I added the folded up ribbon to the card using glue dots on the ends then I've added a large flower as a centepiece which was white but I dyed it with starburst stains a while ago :)




And the finished card :)






I'm often asked where I get my ideas and influences and with this it was I just wanted to do a handbag as I associated immediately when DD said the word "fashion" and I wanted to do a shaped easel to show how easy they are. The post it was because I saw one whilst mooching round the craft room, the flower was from a really ancient book. The pink foiled stamp I was actually rummaging for my detail white EP and found that instead so thought ahhh that would work with some foils and it did!

The handle of the bag is a clear influence from Debbie Dolphins project in craft stamper last month. The curled organza was something Jill from The Stampman showed on her techniques show on create and craft a couple of weeks back and I was curious to see how it worked so there ya go!

I'm entering this into...

The Pink Elephant - Polka dots, a bow and pink

Quixotic Challenges - Flutterby (Use a butterfly, mine is the pink butterfly charm)

A Spoonful of Sugar - Freestyle

Stamp Something - Funny Somethings (The phrase says Is it friday yet?)

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is so creative! Nice idea! I like the colors. It is so feminine.
baby cribs

Debbie Dolphin said...

thats gorgeous vix.really stunning xxx
debbie

Annie said...

cool - brilliant idea - thank you so much for sharing this with us at The Pink Elephant.
Ann xxx

Lisa Jane said...

Gorgeous card - any girl would love to receive
Lisa ;)

cockney blonde said...

Vix that is beautiful. I had just been thinking about trying out an easel card, spooky or what???

Anonymous said...

Fashion, what's that...far too much money to be better spent on craft...
Love this Vix...great idea with the post it...and a great way to use all your embelishment's...
x
Vicky

Chelsea said...

This is so creative, cute and useful! I love it! :)Chel

Juls said...

Fab idea!! Love the results!! very stylish!! thanks for showing us the before and after!

Ann said...

SO fun! I love that flower and all the ribbons!

Kim Dellow said...

Oh wow, what a fabulous idea! Lovely! Thanks for joining us at Quixotic Paperie Challenge this week. Kim

The Stamp Man said...

Wow, lots of thought and ideas put into this Vix, love the post it note idea, like you say makes it more longer lasting as a really useful keepsake. Brilliant!!