Tuesday 5 January 2010

Dewdrop Craftz #5 - New Year New You

The challenge set this fortnight at Dewdrop craftz is "New Year New You" so interpret as you wish such as a new technique. I've chosen to make a start on a new art journal. I had a lot of anxiety over it, ummed and ahhed of how it should look or not but you know and art journal is YOUR book, your pages so do with them as you please and simply go with the flow :D
I also had some fab guidance and direction from Sarah over at The Art of Moodling so got stuck in and sprayed and dropped and swirled and just played. These pieces were done with distress inks in spiced marmalade and faded denim on a craft mat, sprayed some solar gold radiant rain then some water to mingle them all then layed over some watercolour paper. Did this a few times till Iwas happy then whilst the corners were wet I dropped in some walnut crystals and dried them off.
After the pieces were dry I randomly pushed some gesso over to tone down some places and dried that off too then started stamping firstly the dragon in the background then the swirls and the large letters (which are done with acrylic dabbers) Then I've stamped and embossed some fireworks. The stamp is by anitas and its absolutely pants, sorry have to say it. Its always left halos no matter how careful you are *but* in this case I particularly wanted them there so used it. I've added some text and highlights with a white souffle pen.

And finally onto the image which is Kimono 2 digital by Dewdrop Craftz coloured with promarkers, I went again for the blue and orange theme to match the distress inks. The reason I chose this stamp is that its the very first page in my journal and I did it on New Years Day (started at 1am actually lol!) We'd just been outside watching loads of chinese wish lanterns floating by and seeing all the fireworks. I've put orange dots using a paint thats like liquid pearls and added some glamour dust. Also my choice of image is the way she's hiding part of herself which is very much like me personally so its new year new me :)

I did umm and ahh about embellishments but I'm not particularly an embellishment person, I like to put the work into backgrounds and colouring so this is quite reflective of my personal style :)


Hope you can join us over at Dewdrop Craftz challenge You do need to use one of their images and there are freebies available too to try!

4 comments:

Neet said...

Love your first page. Sarah does some great work on journals doesn't she. That image of the little girl is so adorable and I love the colours you have used.
I usually take my rubber off the wood and cut it very close then use it as an um if it gives halos.

Sarah Anderson said...

Ah Neet, thanks!!
I actually came to say that I just LOVE your first journal page!! The colours are fab for celebrating the first day of the year :) Really glad you're happy with it :)

Phred said...

I love the background paper. Will have to have a go.

lv Toria

Lisa said...

Oooooooo. Gorgeous!!!!! Love the colours and the new year oriental theme. Fabulous work Vix. xx