Wednesday, 4 August 2010

Crafts & Me Challenge #10

Its challenge time again over at Crafts & Me and Gina is hosting this one and has chosen "Purple & Green" Now I'm back in my craft room (yay!) I can show you some more step by steps of things I do as the light is very good in here :)

I have used the fabulous "Adrianna" by Hannah Lynn only available at Crafts & Me, isn't she gorgeous, I love Hannah's stamps! Hope you can come join us, I love this colour combo :D
I had a few other challenges in mind when I created this as I wanted to have a little play. One over at Gingersnap is "Markers" so I thought I'd have a tinker with my promarkers to create a background.


To make the background


STEP 1 - Stamp your image then place a sheet of acetate over the top, this will give you a guide as to where your colours will end up. Scribble your promarkers/copics over the acetate sheet.


STEP 2 - Spritz your acetate with alcohol blending solution - It should appear something like this.


STEP 3 - Remove your stamped image from underneath and place the stamped side down onto the acetate, swish it around slightly. Remove and spritz again and repeat as desired. It should look a bit mottled as below.



STEP 4 - (Optional) I found a tub of acrylic glitter glaze so I spread this out over the image. Let dry and you have a funky background :)



STEP 5 - Stamp your image again and colour it in with your promarkers. Then place a piece of card over the image as a mask to protect the rest of this as this bit is messy! Take a piece of mesh and colour some of it in with a contrasting colour to what you have done the tail in. Here I coloured the tail with greens and the mesh with plum. Spritz once and lightly then carefully place the mesh over the tail piece and press down.



Have a couple of practice runs first until you feel confident with it. I had practice runs on my hand (I've no idea why but it seemed lke a good idea at the time!)



STEP 6 - Cut out your coloured image and 3d it over the background you made. Cut it out into an oval or whichever shape you like. The background is like a mottled watery effect and when you tilt the card all the glitter (which is green) shows through.



I've distressed the green DP with scissors and the oval with ink. Found these fab jewel roses when I sorted out my craft room so I snipped a bigger hole in the bead caps with my cropodile for them to slot through. I also found the butterfly punch so used that too :D

Sentiment is by Stamping All Day (I luuurve their teeny sentiments they're perfect!)

Close up of the ickle earrings I made with a 4mm daisy spacer and sticky pearl gem.


Close up of stick pin I made with a 10mm AB teardrop bead, 6mm green cats eye and silver star charm.


Entering into..

Gingersnap Spicy Supply - Markers
Stamp with Fun - Sketch
Wild Orchid - Lace
Charisma - Something with a tail
Mixed Media Monday - Past Loves (Spraying blending solution)
Cupcake - Distressing (DP's are distressed with scissors & Oval is distressed with ink)
One Stop Craft - Patterns (Swirls & Stripes on matching DP's)
Totally Papercrafts - Movies (Mermaid!)
Paperplay - Anything goes

22 comments:

Happy Days said...

Wow fantastic technique - I'm going to have to get some blending solution! Your card is fabulous, thanks for sharing. x

debs said...

oooh...gorgeous..your soooo clever!!...Debs x

Andrea said...

Very nice card - great image - wonderful color - I like it so much. Thanks for joining stamp with fun.
Hugs
Andrea-Emmi41

Cath Wilson said...

Very nice, Vix. Nice take on an old technique. Love the stick pin and the earrings. The details make all the difference.

gina g said...

Hi Vix this is so beautiful such fabulous detail. luv gina xx

Juls said...

what a fab technique, and totally stunning creation! Hugs Juls

Dotpat said...

gorgeous Vix, wish I had your patience

Craftyanny said...

thanks for playing along with Totally Papercratfs this week.
Your card is fabulous, I love how you did the background and your colouring is superb
Anne x

Nicki (LittleTed) said...

Woohoo, this is fabulous! Love the funky colours on your image, and your background is wonderful.

Nicki, xx

Nilla said...

Wow, what a lot of stunning work behind this fabulous card! Thanks for joining us at SWF this week! Hugs Nilla

Lorraine A said...

oohh WOW !!! I have just read through this twice to see how you made this ,,, absolutley STUNNING card !! perfect colouring and all the shimmer is fantastic !! Brilliant card !! :-)

thanks for joining us on the TPC Challenge :-)
luv
Lols x x x

Sue said...

Hi Vix
wow what a gorgeous card, fabulous colouring, luv seeing how you made it,thank you for joining us at Totally Papercrafts this week, hope to see you next week, sue,x

Jack said...

What a messy madam you are, LOL. I've got a stamp that imitates mesh so I'd use that! Fabulous card and thanks for all the close-ups. I can study this in detail. xx

Lindsey said...

Stunning! What a great technique and a fabulous result. Hope you got that ink off your hands! Great card, Thanks for joining us at OSCC this week xx

Lisa said...

fab! great work!

Kimberly's Mixed Media Art said...

Pretty Pretty Pretty.

WeirdCat said...

Beautiful, great technique
Ruth x

Crafteezee said...

This is gorgeous Vix, just love that background, not sure it would turn out like that for me, but I need to start playing around. Hugs Tracy x

Faye said...

Wow, wow, wow! Gorgeous. Thanks for playing at Cupcake this week. xx

Biscuitlid said...

ooh I've so enjoyed reading your post and looking at the photos too. Looks like you had grat fun making this one

Thanks so much for joining in with our distressing challenge this week at Cupcake
Hugs
Victoria
x

crafty amy said...

I was wondering how you did that gorgeous background this is such a great tip thank you so much. You really are the queen of techniques :D

Hugs

Amy xx

Angela said...

LVOE THIS VIX!!! She looks alot like the one I created except I added some orange!! I love your background and the way you created her scales!!! Thanks for sharing with us how you did it!!!
Hugs:)
Angela